Tuesday, August 24, 2010

MY GUPPY ALMOST DIED!!!

 

Yesterday was a SAD SAD day for one of my guppies…and I literally had a heart attack!!

One of my guppies (whom I have sort of identified as a female) lost almost half of her tail!!!

It began about 2 or 3 days ago, when my mom was looking at the tank and told me that she could only find 3 guppies instead of the usual four. I thought she was kidding, because 10 minutes before that, there were still 4 of them there. As I walked over to the tank, I really did notice that one was missing, so I started to panic. On top of everything, my mom suggested that maybe the missing guppy was eaten by one of my goldies…which i thought was ridiculous, but also frightening. At last, we found her hiding in the little space behind the filter on the edge of the tank! I laughed it off and thought it was nothing.

The day after that, I kept on noticing that the same guppy was missing. But this time, I knew to look behind the filter and as expected, I would also find her hiding there. This went on for the rest of the day, and I didn’t really mind her after that. After I came home yesterday, I did some research. Most of the topics that I Googled up dealt with female pregnant guppies hiding until delivery. This was strange to me, because CLEARLY my guppy wasn’t pregnant or anything, but I couldn’t really eliminate this factor because I do have 2 males in the tank. So I just left her alone.

Shortly after 9pm, I was getting ready to go to bed, I came downstairs to get a drink of water. I was going to leave my fishies alone, but there was an urge for me to just check up on them, and so I did.

BOY!! WAS I EVER THANKFUL THAT I CHECKED UP ON THEM!!!!

I knew I was only going to find 3 guppies swimming around, so naturally I looked behind the filter, but only to find the little enclave to be EMPTY!! I didn’t know WHERE to look, but as my eyes moved downward…OH MY FREAKING GOODNESS!!! my guppy was SUCKED against the round tube thingy of my filter that drew water in, and SHE WAS NOT MOVING!!!!!!!!

I DON’T KNOW HOW IN THE WORLD SHE GOT THERE!! BUT I THOUGHT SHE WAS DEAD!!!

I grabbed my net and lightly tried to slide her off, and she moved!!!!! SHE FIDGITED!!!! I WAS NEVER SO HAPPY IN MY LIFE TO SEE A FISH FREAKING FIDGITING!!!

I quickly got her off of the pipe and she sort of swam a little into the water but looked SO weak. I immediately took her out of the tank, and into the bowl that I always put beside the tank!

She didn’t eat through the whole duration of the 3 days, so I gave her a little food, and she happily took it.

She didn’t lose any fins or anything, but the hind part of her body was severely hurt! Her scales were damaged and she lost about HALF of her tail!!!!

I was almost in tears!! THANK GOD that I was concerned and checked up on them JUST IN TIME to save her!! I was soo worried that she wasn’t going to live until today, but I woke up to find her still swimming and being a lot more active than she was in the past few days!!

DSC00509

DSC00510

If you look closely, or enlarge the photos, you can notice that her tail has been badly ripped! and the hind portion of her body looks very rough, that’s because the scales there have also been damaged. =(

Right now, I need to find out why she was hiding there, and if she’s going to be better now that I’ve isolated her. I don’t know as of right now if she’s going to need any medication, and I don’t know if I should keep another guppy in there with her because they’re very social fish.

If anyone could provide my with information on any of these things, it’d be very much appreciated! ><

That’s it for now…

1 comment:

  1. I don't have any fish as pet but googling "guppy hurt" gives some pretty good links to some forums maybe with the same situations as your guppy. I hope she recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete